Breakfast. The most important meal of the day, right? Also, the hardest one to squeeze in. I am just not a morning person. Mornings should be spent curled up in bed, not running around trying to look presentable and pack a lunch and brew coffee AND make breakfast. Like, how many things am I expected to do before I’ve ingested a proper level of caffeine?
So I’ve been buying these frozen breakfast burritos from Target. They’re great. And they’re not crazy expensive, but I decided I wanted to see if I could make my own. So I turned to Pinterest and found this frozen breakfast burrito recipe. I made a few tweaks though.
Breakfast Burrito Ingredients
- 12 Medium Flour Tortillas
- 1 Dozen Eggs or 20oz. Egg Whites
- 1 Pound Turkey Sausage
- 1 ½ Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
(or whatever flavor floats your boat)
- 1 Small Bell Pepper Chopped
- 1 Small Yellow Onion Chopped
- 1 Russet Potato Diced
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
(or less if you don’t really like Cumin…)
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
Breakfast Burrito Instructions
- Dice potato. In large skillet, heat olive oil, and saute potato chunks until soft and nicely roasted on the outside. This is a great time to be chopping your veggies while the potato cooks.
- Add onions and bell peppers, stirring occasionally and cooking until they begin to get tender (4-5 minutes).
- Mix in sausage cooking for an additional 6-7 minutes or until cooked through and no longer pink. (Because I’m lazy and picking out raw sausage overwhelms me, I used pre-cooked sausage. So for this step, I just stirred it around so everything mixed and the flavors got a chance to meld.)
- If using whole eggs, in a large bowl beat lightly with a fork until all yolks are broken mixing in cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper and salt. (I used one carton of Southwestern style Egg Beaters and 3 real eggs because I like to get a bit of that yolk taste in there, too.)
- Pour eggs over sausage and veggie mixture and cook for 5-7 minutes or until eggs are cooked through.
- Mix in cheese and stir together until cheese is mixed well and melting.
- Remove from heat.
- Place tortillas on cutting board or clean surface and spoon mixture on each tortilla.
- Roll tortilla in burrito fashion
- Wrap each burrito in plastic wrap then aluminum foil and place in large plastic freezer bags or airtight container.
To heat, I unwrap them totally, then wrap loosely in a paper towel, and microwave for one minute on each side on a microwave-safe plate. Let sit a minute or so and then devour! NOM NOM NOM.